How circadian rhythm can help you live a better life…Circadian rhythms are your body’s 24-hour internal clock cycle that influences the behavior of cells, hormones, metabolism, digestion, and growth within the body.
- The most well-known Circadian rhythm cycle is the sleep-wake cycle.
- When properly regulated, your circadian rhythm can promote restorative and high-quality sleep.
Your Circadian rhythm responds primarily to light, dark, and when you eat and sleep. So you can look at your Circadian rhythm as the master clock within your brain that ensures your body is optimized at different points during a 24-hour cycle.
- Getting sunlight first thing in the morning is essential to optimize your circadian rhythm.
- The more sunlight you absorb during the day, the better you sleep at night.
“Getting sunlight in your eyes first thing in the morning is absolutely vital to mental and physical health. It is perhaps the most important thing that any and all of us can and should do in order to promote metabolic well-being, promote the positive function of your hormone system, get your mental health steering in the right direction.”
Andrew Huberman, PhD. (Professor of Neurobiology at Stamford)
How To Optimize a Healthy Circadian Rhythm
- Get outside in the sun: Exposure to natural light early in the day helps send a strong signal to your Circadian rhythm.
- Try to wake up and go to sleep at the same time every day.
- Exercise regularly: taking a walk first thing in the morning without sunglasses or sunscreen is a great way to jumpstart your Circadian rhythm.
- Avoid stimulants like caffeine in later hours of the day.
- Try to eat your meals at the same time every day as well.
- Limit light and electronic devices at least a couple of hours before bed.
Making these changes to your everyday life can improve your quality of life.
Best – Mike Cola